Friday, May 3, 2013

Current WIP

So, I have spent all morning emailing potential beta readers for my current Work In Progress, Hot Mess.  I really need someone from the HIV/AIDS community to read it and tell me if I got my facts straight.  I sent almost a dozen emails and finally got a reply from a wonderful organization, The Well Project.  Their president is even interested in reading the book, which makes me feel very humbled because she's uber-busy.  But she's passionate about women in America living with AIDS and HIV, and that happens to be what my book is about, so she doesn't mind helping me out.

Thank God.

Because I'm really nervous about this one.  This particular book has a message beyond falling in love and finding happiness with oneself.  The heroine is a woman trying to live a normal life under the stigma of a positive HIV status in Serendipity.  So far, the beta readers that I've sent it out to, love it (Still haven't heard from Jennifer or Paris yet, so the jury's not completely in), and they felt like they'd learned a lot about the disease from reading it.

So I need to make sure that I'm putting the right information out there.

Don't get me wrong.  I did my research.  I spent a lot of time online looking up facts and finding answers to questions, taking notes, and essentially reading a lot of information that I didn't know.  I'm just not sure if it all came out in the translation when I wrote my book, you know?  One thing I did learn is that there's a lot of false information out there about HIV and AIDS, and most people (in my world anyway) don't know exactly how it is transmitted, and what you can and can't do if you have it.

With my whole theory of "the more eyes the better," I needed someone with intimate knowledge of the disease to look over it, before my final round of revisions and sending it off to Catherine.

And now, it's been sent out, and I'm nervously awaiting their reaction...Trying not to chew my fingernails off...Hoping they like it, and don't find too much wrong with what I'm trying to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews