Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My writing group

My writing group is a diverse group of women from all over the world. It's been as large as eight members big, and as small as three. But it's my favorite group of women out there right now.

We don't meet in real life. It's all on facebook and googledocs. Everyone says you need a real life writing group for face to face critiques. I don't agree. That may be beneficial, but it's not practical for someone who lives in a rural setting, like me.

Vanessa, NJ, Sarah, and now Brandy are the other members of the group. We share articles on writing we come across with each other. We share funny stuff we find. We share successes and failures. We bounce ideas off each other. We encourage each other to do great things with our writing, or to just do things with it. And we vent. Because it's a "secret" group, bless their hearts, they get to hear a lot of rants from me, especially lately.

A writing group should be a safe place to share your writing, in hopes of honest feedback. And this one is. We don't sugar-coat stuff, but we're extremely supportive, because in the world of Indie-authors, not everyone is.

My little group means the world to me. I honestly don't know what I would do without them. They are my friends, my cheer-leaders, my hand-slappers. They are the first people to see anything I've written. We all have lives, and sometimes life takes over our writing. And in this group, that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews