Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Crazy Love Review - Finally


So, this weekend, I went to a Book Bash in Houston, and it was an amazing experience.  I had even scheduled myself to do a review for a fellow author at the event, thinking it would be a neat way to introduce myself to her beforehand.

What I didn't anticipate was the debilitating bundle of nerves the week before the event that had me packing and repacking my stuff instead of doing any work whatsoever.  So I didn't get to the review on my scheduled day...

But my table looked good for someone who'd only spent about $30 on it.


I made a lot of contacts, met some people I'll be working with in the future, and had a blast.  Once I got past the whole getting lost issues on the way to the venue, I was golden.  But I never really had time to seek out Michelle and apologize for not getting her review up on my scheduled date.  I still don't even know what she looks like, except her author pic.

I'm going to post more about the HAB later, because now, I'm going to give you guys my review of Crazy Love, by Michelle Pace.


First of all, this book was so well written.  And pretty.  And professional.  Wow.  I honestly don't get many books to review that are all three.  I get well written books that aren't formatted well, or pretty books with lots of chapter heading graphics that are riddle with usage errors, etc.  But I rarely get books that are the triple threat for indie authors.

I loved Crazy Love.  I fell in love with Trip and Sam, almost right off the bat.  They were real, they were likeable and relatable.  Annie was too.  All three of these characters had flaws, but lovely flaws that they had to overcome for the story to progress.  It was awesome.

The only issues I had were the various povs, and this may just be a personal taste.  I enjoyed the chapters from Trip's point of view, but it started as an info-dump, and I would have liked to see more of his pov throughout the story, instead of Violet and Jayce's.  I didn't think Violet's pov chapters did anything to make her character likeable, in fact, I liked her less after reading about things from her perspective.  The chapter from Jayce's perspective did little to make him likeable or relatable.  That chapter wasn't necessary, except it propelled the plot.  The plot could have been moved forward a different way, I thought.

Everything with Annie and Sam was perfect in my opinion, but the secondary characters, Trip and Violet needed a little bit more, because in a way, this was their story too.  And Jayce was hilarious. I've met him a couple of times in Dallas.  It's a lot of fun to read a character and think, "I know that guy."

Ms. Pace's treatment of alcoholism was right-on.  It was raw, but not too over the top, and she didn't gloss over it.  And she hit the brother's reaction to his alcoholism amazingly well.  

Overall, I loved this book, and will give it four stars on amazon.  It was a fun read, that I couldn't put down at times.  I was so sorry to not have it reviewed in time to post it on my chosen date.

To purchase the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews