Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My Two Cents Tuesday-FWIW

Every release I have, someone will message me, send me an email, or otherwise ask the question, "How do I do what you do?"

It's a loaded question.  First of all, I'm not exactly sure what they think I do.  Do people think I just dabble in this writing gig and manage to make a bazillion dollars?  Do they think I have a one-size-fits-all answer?

But the biggest question in my head is this, "Do they think I have worked my ass off for years, to just give them all the answers without them having to do some work too?"

See, I don't mind this question.  At all.  My problem is, when I answer it, the asker is usually expecting me to do all the work for them.  Which I honestly don't want to do.

So here's what I'm saying to anyone who wants to ask me this question...

Do your homework.  Figure out what your purpose is for writing, and RESEARCH how to do what you want to do.  If it's just to write and be the best writer you can be, there are tons of blogs and facebook groups to join/follow.  Kristin Lamb is amazing for one, but a quick google search can give you tons more.  If it's publishing, check out some of Mark Dawson's groups, or Marie Force's group, or a multitude of other blogs and facebook groups.  Again.  A google search will help with this.  If your goal in writing is something cathartic, write.  Just write.  You don't have to let the world see it.   But again, research what you want to do first.

If your goal is to make money at your writing, I'll tell you this.  I'm not the person to ask.  Granted, I make money.  Not a ton, but I pay my bills, and I am not complaining.  But I have worked really hard, doing research, watching other authors, making notes, making mistakes, learning from them.  Please don't ask me how I make so much money.  I'm not a bazillionaire.  My house and cars are paid for, so my bills are minimal.  That question is insulting to me on several levels, and I won't answer it.  Sorry.

In a nutshell, don't be lazy.  Presumably, you've written a story.  That in itself is an accomplishment.  Don't marginalize yourself by being too lazy to do the rest of it on your own.  If you have specific questions about strategy, ask them.  Most authors, including myself, don't mind answering those.  But don't expect us to just tell you step-by-step how to do everything.

Write your story
Study your craft
Revise your story
Study your market
Build up your reader base and interact with them
Have a team to help you publish your book.  You owe these readers more than just a rough draft.
Invest as much time (if not more) in figuring out how to market and promote your book as you did writing it.  Nobody owes you this.  If you want your book to sell, you have to work for it.  A lot.

This is just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews